Romans 4:16-25 The Justification of Abraham Our Example
- Intro to Topic:
- Faith: a heartfelt trust in a truth
- Not– faiths… as in other religions…
- Ex: Greeting cards… Multi-religion seasons greeting at holidays…
- >>>Mutual exclusion….
- >>>What you believe matters
- ***This applies to Abraham’s Faith!
- Intro to Text:
- 22, What Abraham believed matters for salvation before God!
- Our Example: 22-24, Written for our sake… our example…
- Point: ***That We too may have salvation by faith!!!
- Occasion: Paul used Abraham’s Faith as Example to Works Sal…
- FCF: At root they added works to grace …..either
- b/c they did not believe what God said!!! Or…
- b/c they did not believe God was able!!!
- Need: What’s on the line is salvation itself…
- Segue: Thus he begins with a…..
- A Gracious Guarantee
a) Grace: 16a, “It [Abe’s Justification] is by faith, that it be by Grace!”
- 4:3, 9, 22, 24 “Abe believed God ”
- Occasion: “Certainly not Paul… too good to be true!!!”
- Answer: **Lift the empty hands of faith with intent on miracle!
b) Guarantee, 16b, “so that it would be Guaranteed to all who believe”
- ***Abe’s faith example to guarantee to us…
- Def:***Saving Faith = Faith in Jesus intent upon salvation
- Segue: But we lack faith!!!
- Q: What holds us back from faith intent upon salvation?
- The Competing Factors
a) Factors: 19b “He contemplated….” i.e. thought about the factors against
- His own and Sarah’s Bodies…
- ***Factors for us! –Unflattering message… sinner
- –2000 yrs ago baby God =died for sins…
- –Faith brings supernatural salvation!!!
- EX: Secular Humanist Society of America… Scoff… jeer…
b) Defeated Competitors: 19a, “Though without becoming weak in faith”
- Ex: Sports… only one can win….
- >>>Faith in God won out over doubt!!!
- ***Our faith must defeat doubt…
- Segue: how does faith overcome doubt? Self, scoffers, sinners???
- The Able God
a) God’s Promise: 20, “The Promise of God…”
- Ex: A man’s promise is only as good as the man who makes it
- ***A Verbal Faith… promises meant to be trusted!
- Tension: how does God overcome our doubts?
b) The Promisor’s Ability: 21!!! “fully assured that what God promised, He is able to perform”
- >>>17–18, “Raise the dead” “Bring forth the future”
- ***The God Factor!!!
- ***Missing from evangelism, churches, atheists, the fearful sinner
- Segue… the God Factor leads us to the
- The Supernatural Example of Exchange
a) Example: 22-24a, “For our sake…”….
- Point: believe with intent upon salvation!!!
- Tension: How does this become ours?
b) Supernatural Exchange: 24b-25…
- ***Our Sins to Jesus, his righteousness credited to us…
c) Ex: Credit relief… debt doesn’t evaporate… someone must absorb it
d) ***Miraculous Supernatural Exchange when we believe!
- ***To Unbeliever….
- Call: Faith in Christ with intent upon salvation…
- Ex: Fiery Serpents… Staff with Serpent… Look to the serpent for salvation
- >>>Look to Jesus for Salvation…
- ***To Believer
- Q: Do you lack assurance? Waiver in faith? Circumstances?
- A: Don’t just believe the promise but the promisor!!!
- ***God is Able!